Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 13: Sunday Sunday

For today is Sunday...the day of the Sabbath. A day of rest and of refection in the name of God....unnnnless you're on a study abroad trip. However, I'll never trade today's experience for a day of rest...I think the best way to highlight the day would be to break it up into three activities.

1. Santa Maria sopra Minerva (Basilica of St. Mary Above Minerva): No, this church is not saying that Mary is above Minerva..although she is...this basilica is built upon a Roman era temple to Minerva. Cool. Moving on....This place of worship contains three major pieces: the body of St. Catherine of Siena, the reconstruction of Catherine's study area, and Michaelangelo's "Cristo della Minerva." The body and the reconstructed study was quite moving, and that's all I'll say to avoid fluff. However, I was very struck by "Cristo della Minerva" or "Christ the Redeemer " (pictured below).
I spoke once before about crucifixion depictions in relation to actual relevance to the crucifixion process. Michaelangelo finished this piece in 1521, so roughly three years to complete. We see that christ in positioned in the contrapasso, showing his relaxed and confident nature (also in Michaelangelo's "David"). However, I would like to focus on the cloth placed around Christ's right thigh. This is actually a late addition the the piece during the baroque period after Michaelangelo's death. The original work was correct in its crucifixion depiction with christ completely exposed to the elements in the nude.....ohh baroque. 

2. The St. Ignatius rooms: ...humbling...nerve racking...shaking...mind blowing....St. Ignatius of Loyola, who shared the same desire I do to go down in history as one of the most memorable men to ever live, gave all his fame, fortune, and glory to serve God. His vision shaped the world as we know it today, and thats the best connection to make there. 
3. Mass.:....Well, I knew when to make the sign of the cross? I guess that counts for mass participation....Okay Fr. John and Fr. Joseph, y'all can settle down if you're reading this. I actually DO know the order of the mass enough to follow it in Italian.....The observation that came back to me again, is the notion of universality. I've participated in many masses in Belize, but every time I go through a mass outside of my home parish, I still am somewhat excited by the universality of the Catholic church. Granted: Catholic does mean universal.
I know we are in the hub of the Church.  I guess it's just amazing to see a world so torn apart by hatred and violence, and united by means of a mass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment